Lock Down Planning Permission
Having acquired the three drinking venues next to and opposite The Plough Brewery we found ourselves with a place making opportunity
A neighbourhood consultation took place in March 2019 and CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) consulted. It became clear that the neighbours didn’t want three night time venues in such close proximity and CAMRA could see that three drinking establishments so close together wasn’t sustainable.
Our plans were lodged during 2018 and finally the Grade II listed building at 518 Wandsworth Road was granted Listed Buildings Consent in April 2020 , just after lock down and planning permission followed in the autumn.Read more
At last our Electric vans arrive ready for ULEZ
Marstons was founded in 1895 at a time when a horse rather than a combustion engine was more likely to pull materials and tools to a job. For our maintenance team, learning to make the best of an all electric vehicle probably isn’t quite such a challenge as looking after an animal but it’s not far off.Read more
2020 – celebrating 125 years in business in Fulham
As the known universe closed down around us , one by one our 125 year celebrations had to be cancelled , leaving our anniversary book as the sole marker of our quasquicentennial year.
The 147 page book is about the random obstacles and set backs that have to be navigated through life and in business ; none more challenging than we have all experienced together ‘virtually’ and in person over the last year .Read more
The first family business in Hugon Road
That William’s destiny lay in Fulham may be due to his enthusiasm for the temperance cause. In 1885, when he was twenty, William met Elizabeth Ansell at a Christmas party, probably organized by the Juvenile Templars in Battersea where they were both members. The templars served as the temperance movement’s youth wing: zealous campaigners for abstinence from the ‘four evils’ of alcohol, tobacco, gambling and profane language. Elizabeth Ansell, also twenty, was churchgoing, took an interest in the betterment of society and had a strong work ethic.Read more
Heroes of the 'first aid repairs'
On 16 September 1940, John Wilfrid Marston, managing director of WJ Marston & Son, sat down to compose a letter to Mrs Kay, recently appointed as manager of the company’s newly built hotel on the Kent coast. “The bombing in London is certainly rather terrible”, he began, but “so far, we have been rather fortunate.”Read more
125 years in Fulham
Pictured is the Empire petrol station at 79-91 New King’s Road opposite Eel Brook Common in about 1933 - rebuilt in about 1938 by W J Marston & Son for Mr J C BrodieRead more