Purchased at auction in spring 2015, the Grade II listed building was granted Listed Buildings Consent in Spring 2020 and planning permission followed in the autumn.
The buildings are located adjacent to the Plough Brewery, also a listed building owned by Marstons since 1968 .
The building was originally three houses that formed part of an elegant Georgian terrace . Parts of the original staircases are still in place . A pub or tap room was installed in number 518 sometime after the Plough Brewery was built in 1868- there is an old bricked up doorway that would have connected the pub to the Brewery once upon a time .By the early part of the 20th century the pub had expanded in to numbers 520 and 522. By the 1930's it was owned and operated by Youngs Breweries and the pub was expanded to the rear and the tiled pub frontage installed. Youngs sold the building in 2012 and it operated as wine bar until 2016.
Supervised by McDaniel Woolf Architects the renovation work began in December 2020 by our own in house team who have begun to carefully peel back the layers of various pub and wine bar fit outs carried out over the years . Despite all the cutting and carving we are really pleased to have found a few original Georgian fixtures and fittings including some pegs, cupboard doors , match boarding and wide floorboards . These will all be retained within the renovated building. The original roof profile is to be preserved despite all the adjacent houses in the terrace having lost theirs to mansard roof extensions.
The upper parts, once the accommodation for the pub managers will become two flats to rent , a small but characterful one bedroom and a three bedroom with a roof terrace . Even though we are creating new dwellings we are largely following the original pattern of rooms . The two flats will be available to rent.
The ground floor pub areas will become a cafe and break out space for the Plough Brewery and will also provide small collaborative work spaces .
The basement will provide showers and drying room for commuting cyclists and workshop areas
The 1930's pub faience tiles will be renovated and preserved