The Peterborough Arms was originally built in 1773, licensed in 1830 and eventually replaced by the existing building in 1892 as ‘The Peterborough Hotel’.
The handsome building has undergone various refurbishments by previous owners over the years and it's popularity has waxed and waned . Green King sold the property to Marstons in January 2016 with the condition that it would not operate as a pub for the first 6 months. Locals feared it would be another pub lost to an alternative use but it was always Marstons intention to retian the property and ensure it would re-open it as a pub /restaurant.
The refurbishment and conversion of the upper parts was completed in October 2018 and all the flats let .'Brook House' opened in March 2019
Purchased from Greene King Pubs in January 2016 , this handsome Edwardian pub had already shut down . The building is prominently located opposite Eel Brook common in what used to be known as Walham Green but is better known as Fulham Broadway .It was the home of the Eelbrook pub (prior to that, the Southern Cross).
Planning consent was granted to convert the upper floors into six one bed , two bed and studio flats for rental. The former pub space at ground and basement has been reconfigured and is now let to Brook House as a pub Restaurant .
Construction work completed in the October 2018 and all six flats occupied within a few weeks . Brook House opened in March 2019 . The freehold building and units are retained for rental in Marston’s property portfolio.
The Peterborough Arms was built in 1773, licensed in 1830 to be replaced by the existing building in 1892 as ‘The Peterborough Hotel’.
Owned by Bass Charrington it was a popular local pub during the 1980’s with the first floor space ancillary to the ground floor pub hosting a pool table and occasional functions. The ground floor had a central counter with separate saloon bar and public bar on either side.
Eelbrook Common was used for training by many local football and rugby teams who used the large clay surface ‘cage’ which was floodlit during the winter and over the summer they transferred to the grass although pitches were no longer marked out.
During the early 1990’s the pub was frequented by Australians and New Zealanders and was renamed ‘The Southern Cross’. Several teams used Eelbrook Common to train Aussie rules football. It was one of the only places where Aussie rules football, and southern hemisphere cricket and rugby could be watched on a big screen (planning was granted in 1991 to renew permission for 2 satellite dishes). Customers came from other parts of London and ‘locals’ frequented the pub less and less during this period.
Greene King purchased the pub in 1994 and in 1995 planning permission was granted to carry out a refurbishment and install the internal spiral staircase between the first, ground and basement floors giving direct internal access from the ground floor bar to the first floor. No work was carried out to the staff accommodation on the upper two floors.
It was around the same time that Eelbrook Common lost the large floodlit cage to be replaced by a much smaller five-a side /basketball cage so reducing the numbers and types of teams that could train during the winter (and thus the number of people drinking afterwards in the pub). From this period onwards the pub trade gradually waned.
During this latter period up until the most recent refurbishment the first floor was used from time to time for pub related events such as comedy nights and open mic evenings .
The ground floor of the pub underwent a refurbishment in 2014 after which time ‘London Theatre Workshop’ was given informal permission to use the first floor although planning permission for change of use was not sought or granted.
Greene Kings closed the pub in December 2015 and Marstons completed the purchase in January 2016 . A condition of the purchase was that it should not re-open as a pub for 6 months .
During the planning process from March 2016 – April 2017 Marstons let the pub premises to ‘Petit Terre’ as a pop up wine bar .
GPF Lewis Contractors started on site in June 2017 and handed the building back to Marstons as 6 completed apartments and a shell pub/restaurant premises during September 2018 .
The apartments are known as 65 New King’s Road and the pub /restaurant premises is now known as ‘Brook House’