Built in 1901 The Old Power Station was originally the site of an electricity generating station and Borough parks department. You’ll find The Old Power Station and Tideway Yard are directly opposite the tip of the Chiswick peninsula, on the stretch of the Thames that’s now better known as the last straight of the Putney to Mortlake Boat Race course. The Old Power Station provides 19 Office Units ranging from 342 to 1,349 square feet. Many of the units have beautiful views of the Thames, with access to balconies or terraces overlooking the river. All of the units have access to a communal kitchen and WC on each floor. On-site parking spaces are available to rent and it’s just a five-minute walk to Barnes Bridge Station.
Both Tideway Yard and the Old Power Station are located within a 5 minute walk of Barnes Bridge Station with regular trains to Putney, Clapham Junction, Vauxhall and Waterloo. Mortlake Station is also close by.
The 419 and 209 buses pass the entrance providing services between Richmond and Hammersmith. On site parking spaces are available to let by way of Licence Agreement.
Rick Stein's restaurant at Tideway Yard makes a great venue for business meetings or entertaining.
The Old Power Station along with Tideway Yard were constructed in 1901. The Old Power Station used to belong to Barnes Council and the borough made its own electricity there, using coal that was brought up the Thames in barges. The London Electricity Board took over the Old Power Station and it gradually fell into disuse and dereliction.
In 1981 Richmond Borough Council decided that they had no further use for Tideway Yard and The Old Power Station and their demolition was proposed. After much outrage from local Mortlake residents a competition was held to find a local architect /developer to develop the site while retaining the best of the original buildings. The winning design by Gillian Harwood and Philip Lancashire included residential apartments (Tideway Wharf) and office space for new businesses to begin and thrive. The refurbishment and development works were undertaken by Marston Properties. Many of the original features remain at both The Old Power Station and Tideway Yard following their refurbishment, the offices were opened in 1986.
Mortlake is situated between Kew and Barnes on the south bank of the River Thames, just north of East Sheen. Famous for being the finishing point of the annual Oxford v Cambridge boat race, Mortlake was also home to the Mortlake Tapestry Works in the 17th Century and the Mortlake Brewery, which, until recently, produced Budweiser.